STAFF EXPECTATIONS AND COMMITMENT OF SUPPORT
Thank you for serving as an adult staff member during SPECTACULAR. Your presence and care for youth are critical to both SPECTACULAR and to the vitality of your own youth ministries. As adults, we are mentors and often become conduits of God’s grace and love. The following guidelines and covenant have been developed to help foster an intentionally covenanted partnership in our work with youth at SPECTACULAR.
• Because God calls us to create sacred community with each other, I covenant with God and other staff and campers to uphold the values of SPECTACULAR and conduct myself in a manner that promotes a community of faith.
• As an adult, I am responsible for providing safe space and a Christian role model for youth. This includes being over the age of 21 and a registered youth worker with Community of Christ.
• I will participate in all activities and work with others to learn and grow from my experiences.
• I covenant to be responsible, along with the other delegation and program staff, for the supervision of our youth at all times.
• I covenant to work in partnership with other staff as needed to support the SPECTACULAR program.
• I will model a positive attitude and spirit of generosity and compassion and I will encourage others to do the same. If I see something that raises concerns, I will share that with one of the SPECTACULAR directors and not in front of campers.
• I will be intentionally visible and interactive with campers from all delegations.
• I will help communicate firm check-in times, policies and program updates as needed so campers will clearly understand expectations of them during this event.
• I will model good sportsmanship as a coach and a fan.
• I will treat all people with dignity and respect.
• I will respect the property of all people and places.
• I will not bring or use tobacco, alcohol, illegal drugs, fireworks, weapons, pornographic material, or anything else of this kind. I realize that such behavior is not acceptable and would require my dismissal from this community.
• I will not engage in any form of sexual activity.
• I will observe these guidelines for visiting the rooms of others and ensure they are followed:
—There will be no opposite gender visitation in the delegation dorm rooms.
—Visitation will only be in public areas.
• If informed or aware that sexual misconduct has occurred, I will discuss the situation with the person harassed and assure that it is reported to the SPECTACULAR directors and head of security.
• I will be mindful of my roommate’s right to privacy.
• I will honor my responsibility to be punctual and prepared, including honoring curfews.
If an individual fails to meet the camper or staff expectations, the SPEC directors and head of security will work with delegation leaders to determine an appropriate course of action. It is our intention to be fair and just, but we are serious about providing a safe and sacred community.
• Disciplinary action will never include physical punishment but might consist of restriction of participation, restriction to an assigned area, apology to the group, additional duties, etc.
• If leaders feel a situation warrants notification, parents or guardians will be contacted.
• If the infraction is serious, the SPECTACULAR directors, head of security, and the delegation leaders will determine if an individual will be asked to leave.
—Individuals (or the parent or guardian) who are asked to leave SPECTACULAR will be responsible for all transportation expenses and fees. Registration and other travel fees will not be reimbursed.
—If damage to property occurs, individuals will be assessed for the cost of damages and repair.
—Individuals who break public laws will be asked to leave SPEC and will be subject to legal action by law enforcement authorities.
This covenant is the foundation of expectations for the entire SPECTACULAR community. We understand and support delegations that choose to hold their campers to further accountability at this event.
THANK YOU FOR SHARING IN THIS COVENANT!